“This is what 7.3 million looks like.”

Infertility affects as many as 7.3 million people in the United States alone. But what does that actually look like?

Well to start, that’s slightly less than the entire population of Israel. That’s slightly more than the entire population of Hong Kong. Or, another way to look at it: it’s the combined populations of entire nations like Moldova and Lithuania.

In the United States, 7.3 million people is just slightly less than the state of Virginia and just a smidgen over the state of Washington. It’s like two whole Puerto Ricos put together.

We could fill an area as small as 426 square miles (the city of Hong Kong) or as big as 71,300 square miles (Washington state).

To put it plainly, 7.3 million people is a lot of people.

At first, it’s easy to see just how massive 7.3 million people can be. We could fill whole cities, states and countries with our numbers. And then, like any statistic, it’s easy to start glazing over the population, to start seeing these groups of people as just a number.

The truth is, 7.3 million people is just too many people.

7.3 million matters because we matter, because our stories and journeys and hopes and fears and dreams of becoming parents matters.

That’s why, in order for our numbers as a community to ever be effective, in terms of advocacy, insurance coverage, media portrayals and general social acceptance and understanding – we can’t rely on our numbers alone. We need to be more than just a number.

We need to show people what 7.3 million people really looks like.

7.3 million looks like your neighbors, your sisters, your co-workers, your spouses, your friends.

7.3 million looks back at you in the mirror every morning, when you wonder if this month will finally be the month.

7.3 million people could look like this:

I am what infertility looks like

I am what infertility looks like

I’ve got 12 new NIAW Facebook Timeline Covers available for download here. All free. All sized for your personal Facebook Profile or Facebook Page. Go get yours today and if you use one, let me know in the comments!

Let’s take over Facebook and show everyone what 7.3 million people really looks like and more importantly: why that matters this year. Join the movement and make a difference this year!

Help Spread the Word

The latest news and announcements at The Infertility Voice: subscribe now.

Comments

1. gailcanoe says

Thanks for making the Facebook covers! I am planning to use one (haven’t decided which one yet) during NIAW week.

2. says

I am using “Because 1 in 8 is someone you know.” I have been anxious to see what you come up with! I used one of these last year too – I love it!

Thank you for these!

3. Susan says

I”m confused as to which one to pick! They are all good. Obviously the ones pertaining to “men” or “dad” won’t work for me, but as I am 34 weeks into my pregnancy following 5 years of TTC/infertility, I can’t decide between the “1 in 8″ or “Moms” or any of the others! I’ve been following you for over a year now and i totally get survivor’s guilt/stress. The not fitting into “mommy” but not quite totally in the land of “infertility”. IF has defined me for many years and now I’m struggling to accept this new part of me that’s had success (finally!) with TTC.

Anyway, thanks for all the options! I think I’ll go with the “1 in 8″. I used that last year!

4. mindy koechling says

love it! sharing the link with all my ivf friends and using the “i am what infertility looks like” header.

5. says

Couldn’t change mine from my phone. But it’s all up now! Thanks for doing this, it’s fabulously wonderful!

• says

PS I think I want to use them all, change them once a day or so….well I don’t think I can use the men or dad’s one, but otherwise I think they all fit me :)

• says

PPS Last comment I swear….my hubs just asked me to use the dad’s one on his FB page….THIS IS HUGE! He’s actually verbalizing our struggle for the first time ever. He’s already had one post this month about raising awareness….this is so very cool! Thanks again for doing this!

6. says

Hi Keiko,
    I found your site through one of the infertility blogs I follow. I have one too, but I choose to use a pseudonym when writing. I’m a psychotherapist my profession and have a blog where I write about anything that interests me related to therapy. Last year I wrote a series of articles about infertility during April (because I’ve been in the trenches and I’m so incredibly passionate about this issue personally and professionally). I’d like to do the same this year and would love to use your covers if that’s ok with you.
    I’m also wondering if you’d be open for me to help translate them into Spanish? My blog is in Spanish (as it is my native language) and I think it’ll be great to have them in another language and reach more people that way.
    Thanks and thank you for sharing these!
    ~Tania R.

7. says

these are wonderful, and the final push I needed to make our Infertility “Facebook Official”. I used “I am what 1 in 8 looks like”

8. says

I am using the “because 1:8 is someone you know” to facilitate my infertility “coming out” on Facebook. I posted a blog post for all of my friends and family to learn about my story. My husband is using the husbands banner, and my sister decided to show her support with the sister banner. Thanks for providing these! I love reading your blogs and have been a quiet lurker for some time now. I have decided to give voice to my own story and your model has helped me find the strength to share something that has become so important to me. Thanks!

9. Jenni says

I’m using “because 1 in 8 is someone you know”. We didn’t know how many people that was until we decided to share our story. My husband will also be using the husbands one.

10. Mindy says

Thanks for posting this. I was looking for something to put on my Facebook this week. These were perfect!

11. says

Used the “1 in 8 is someone you know” banner on my personal page, and “bloggers for infertility awareness” on my blog page. A very festive NIAW addition to my usually boring cover photos!

12. Alana Y says

I am using “because 1:8 is someone you know”. Thank you for these! Not many people know that I suffer from PCOS , but I am blessed to have one beautiful child. We have been wanting more and just recently had a miscarriage. I wish more people spoke about infertility and also knew that secondary infertility is just as heartbreaking.